Tuesday, August 12, 2014

A Not So Small Acheivement

Today I became one of "those" parents... You know, the kind who sit in an audience and cry at something simple like their child's school concert. Now, let me start by saying that I have nothing against the parents who cry at the relatively insignificant events in their child's life (I could very well be one of those parents!) but what happened today was neither simple nor insignificant for my sweet boy.

Today Samuel was awarded the highest level of reading for his age category in our local library's summer reading club (just to be clear, as a pre-reader the award is based on the number of hours Samuel and I have read together; Samuel has not learned how to read... yet!). It may not seem like a big deal for most kids, but one year ago Samuel was aimlessly wandering the halls of his orphanage, completely disengaged. Six months ago he was unable to sit through a quick, simple book intended for toddlers. Today he was recognized for having read over 20 hours in the past six weeks! Not only that but Samuel walked up onto the stage, shook hands with the mayor while accepting his certificate/prize and stood waiting with the other children until a group photo was taken. After pretty much having to pin him to the ground during the magic show that preceded the awards, I wondered if I would have to go up on stage with him but I so wanted him to be able to do it by himself. So while the other groups went I coached him ("See how they're walking nicely? See how they're not running, screaming, jumping, etc.) and when they called his name he walked up proudly and blended right in with the rest of the kids - except for his beaming smile and quick wave to Mama :) Those of you parenting children with special needs know, we (parent and child) work so hard for these seemingly simple moments but when they come, the reward cannot be matched. I guarantee you, I was the proudest parent in that room today!

As mine and Samuel's first year together is coming to an end, I find myself thinking back often to that lost, wandering boy I met in the orphanage nearly one year ago. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that he would blossom into the vibrant, bursting with personality little boy he is today... One thing I know for sure - there is no end to this boy's potential and I'm just blessed that I get the front row seat to see how it all unfolds.

1 comment:

patty said...

Congratulations to both of you, Andrea! Such a great accomplishment!