Saturday, November 16, 2013

Giving Back

October/November is one of my favourite times of year because it's... shoebox season!!! My family and I are big time fans of Operation Christmas Child, a project headed up by Samaritans Purse which delivers shoe boxes filled with toys, hygiene items, school supplies, etc. to children around the world. In fact, I am one of the only members of my family who has not had the privilege of going and delivering these boxes in person (one day... it's on my bucket list!). Every year my mom and I spend hours in every dollar store within a 20 mile radius picking out things we know kids will love and buying way too much stuff, causing us to have to fill even more shoe boxes! This year however was different. Although Samuel doesn't mind shopping, there was no way he was going to put up with multiple trips to multiple stores so we waited 'till the last minute and yesterday we did a one stop shopping trip to Dollarama to fill our shoebox. I let Samuel pick out which toothbrush or t-shirt, what colour Play-Doh or stuffed animal, etc. we should get and today I helped him pack it all up in the box. Obviously he didn't have a clue what we were doing and next year I'll be able to explain it to him better but its important to me that he starts getting into the habit of giving even now, before he understands what its all about.

Colouring the box earlier this week...
This lasted about a minute :)

Stickers...

...Play-Doh and a t-shirt...

...a stuffed animal...

...balloons!

Little man was pretty proud of his box...

...he even shared some of his halloween candy!

The fished product.

Haven't packed your shoebox yet? There's still time! This week is National Collection Week in both Canada and the US... Visit http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/operation-christmas-child.aspx / 

p.s. I read this post tonight which was so encouraging and says everything I haven't found the time or the words to say over the past weeks... The title says it all: There's No Such Thing As An Easy Adoption

1 comment:

Joanna @ Asking with Faith said...

We are like minded today! :)

You are one blessed mommy.