Wednesday, September 18, 2013

What a difference a day makes...

First of all, I have to say... you guys are amazing!!! Sometimes it feels like all I need to do is type out a prayer request and hit publish and the prayer is already being answered. Yesterday was a much better day and I credit it to a good night's sleep, the kindness of a stranger and above all, all the prayers that were lifted up on our behalf. The night before last I brought the spare mattress that I had been intending to sleep on in Samuel's room out to the living room and after falling asleep in my arms in the rocking chair I was able to put him down on the mattress and he didn't even cling to me. I slept with him on the mattress and, other than his fit at 2 a.m., got 10 hours of sleep and felt like a new woman! Samuel ate half a piece of bread, half an apple, 2 granola bars, some goldfish crackers and half a McDonald's smoothie (thank you Nana!) which was a lot more than the day before so that also helped ease my worries. Although still quiet, Samuel's laughter did resurface yesterday afternoon which was music to my ears. He only had one fit yesterday which resulted in him falling asleep on my back at 5:30 p.m. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise however as I was able to gradually ease him off of me, one limb at a time, onto the couch and I got some time to myself to read emails, register for my parental leave, clean up a bit, organize pictures, etc. I also had the best bowl of cereal ever! (I have been eating cold scrambled eggs for breakfast every day as Samuel wants me to make them but them refuses to eat anything and I keep making them because it is what he is most likely to eat.) Samuel slept 12 hours on the couch all by himself without stirring and I slept all alone on the mattress beside him. I was up at 3 a.m. thanks to jet-lag but I'm not complaining. Samuel is definitely still worn out from being sick and all the trauma and climbed into my arms this morning around 10:00 and promptly fell asleep. He is sleeping soundly on the couch as I type this.

The best news of the day however is that I live in the most soundproof apartment ever! I heard my next door neighbour out in the hallway yesterday and decided to go and introduce myself and find out what the damage was... She told me that she heard Samuel crying (her polite way of saying screeching) from the hallway but couldn't hear him any more once she stepped into her apartment. I cannot tell you what a huge weight that was off my shoulders... Even better, I discovered that this neighbour, a stay at home mom of two preschool aged children, is an absolute gift from God. She was so kind, encouraging, understanding and supportive and invited us over any time even if Samuel could only handle 10 minutes at a time at first. She even went as far as offering to come help me with dishes, etc. if needed. Her kids are adorable and her son even loves trucks! Samuel was quite overwhelmed by our hallway encounter so I headed back in but two minutes later there was a knock on my door and she handed me a sheet of paper with her phone number and a note saying "call me if you need anything"... I closed the door and had a bit of a meltdown of my own... God, You are so good to me.

I want to thank you all for your comments, e-mails and texts of advice and encouragement. The outpouring of support I received yesterday was incredible and filled my empty cup for sure. I know that everything we're experiencing is normal but it helps to have that confirmed by those of you who have been there (and to know that all our neighbours are not experiencing it with us!). I so appreciate your continued prayers. If Samuel continues to sleep without me beside him, I will reward you soon with pictures from our trip home - he was hands down the cutest traveller ever :)

5 comments:

patty said...

I'm so glad everything is going better today. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea,

So good to hear about your wonderful neighbour and the sleep you are now getting. It's amazing how Gods timing always works out! Praying for you and Samuel.

Hugs, Marlene

Jill said...

So glad you got so many great ideas and so much support yesterday. I didn't know how to help as we didn't have those issues with our boys. Continuing to pray for you both. And as someone said yesterday, it would be great if you can get some help. And what a BLESSING about your neighbor. That's just like God, isn't it? :)

Dashers said...

I am so glad it is going better! Meeting your neighbor is awesome! I remember some days with our last adoption when I didn't think I could make it another day and then I would get a good night sleep and feel so much better the next day. It is an adventure! Amy

lizzielou said...

YAY! Sleep is GOOD!