Thursday, September 19, 2013

Emotional or Physical?

Ok blog-world friends, after your invaluable wisdom the other day, I have another question for you...

Yesterday was a rough day for Samuel. Like I said, he slept 12 hours on the couch, waking up at 5:30. We hung out on the couch watching Thomas the Train, he had a piece of bread for breakfast, we both had a shower/bath, he ate half a yogurt and a few sips of a Yop and we played for a few minutes but then he climbed up onto my lap and fell asleep at 10:00. He slept until 11:40 then lay on the couch until 12:00. I offered him some food which resulted in a fit which lasted a little over an hour, ending with both of us sleeping on the couch with him on my chest. I woke him up at 2:00, fed him an apple while he lay on the couch and at 2:30 I took him on the balcony for some fresh air. Usually he likes to run around out there but he only wanted to be held and fell asleep in my arms. At 3:00 my mom came and he drank a watermelon smoothie. We went for a walk which he stayed awake for and he played for a bit with me by his side when we came back. He started to cry when I started to reheat rice and chicken for dinner so he had a granola bar and goldfish crackers. We played for a bit and at 6:15 he let me know he was ready for bed by independently cleaning up his toys and heading for the bath tub. He did well in the bath and throughout his bedtime routine. He downed his bottle in about 5 seconds and we rocked for a bit then he put himself to bed by leading me by the hand over to the couch and handing me his blanket to lay over him (he loves his blanket). I sat beside him for a while but then he wanted me to lay beside him, which I did. (Cute side story: When I went to lie beside him he moved his blanket and I thought it was because he didn't want me to lay on it. Once I was settled however, he put his blanket over me. Sweet baby boy wanted to share his beloved blanket with his mama. Seriously, his sweetness gets me every time!) We both fell asleep and I eventually got up, went on my computer for a bit then moved to the mattress on the floor. He started fussing a couple hours later so I moved him onto the mattress with me and he slept soundly the rest of the night. He woke up at 7:30 and we had our usual morning cuddle but after 20 minutes he would not get up when I asked him if he wanted to pee, eat or go play. He fell back asleep in my arms and is sleeping beside me now.

So, the question is, emotional or physical? I'm leaning towards emotional but every once in a while I worry that it's something physical and that I'm ignoring all the symptoms. He's not eating a lot but he is eating (interestingly, everything he ate yesterday were things we were feeding him in Hanoi...). Up until today he was drinking fine but this morning he is refusing water... hopefully that'll change once he wakes up. It's the constant sleeping that worries me the most but this is consistent with him being depressed. Those of you have been there, is this normal? He has a paediatrician appointment scheduled for October 1 at which time she will refer him for all the standard post adoption tests. Should I be taking him in to see his doctor on an 'emergency' basis before then? Would love to hear your thoughts on all of this...

6 comments:

Ruthann said...

It sounds like it is emotional. Sleeping is a way to get rid of what is scary. I would hesitate to take him into bed with you at just a fussing though. You could sit beside him and comfort him as long as needed, but if he's in his bed already I would think about it. But at the same time, you still need to be there for his fears. It sounds like you are thinking every through and doing a great job: being in charge, yet loving him through his fears. Will continue to pray for you both.

Anonymous said...

Andrea I think he's just mixed up and exhausted. Catching up on sleep from an emotional two week! Just like u tired so is he. If he's having " fits" at night it's probably making him tired during the day. Eating will come. Their has been times the boys have been sick or we have been sick and no appetite for days after. Give it a few more days if no better take him to doctor. Always trust your gut feeling when it comes to kids, u know him best. If u r concerned its always better to check and if its nothing then great at least u know. We are thinking of u always. Praying for u and Samuel. Glad things r starting to get better, and easier in some ways. Our love to you and Samuel and hope to see you and meet Samuel soon!!!
Shannon, Nathan, Zachary and rylan

lizzielou said...

Trust your Mommy instinct, it doesn't matter that you have only been together for a short time, you are his Mommy and you know best. A lot could be jetlag too, a time change as big as that if hard to get over. Continued prayers.

Julie said...

I think you are right - it is most likely emotional. But I also think it would be wise to have a doctor see him, just in case. Blessings on you both!

nicole said...

make a big deal out of his blankie and if he needs to get in your bed try co-sleeping..he needs to be babied.

Bonnie said...

just realized none of my other comments have ever posted for some reason. Follow your instincts, trust your gut. If he isn't showing improvement a quick trip to the doctor might be a good idea. There is a lot going on in his life, so it is hard to pinpoint why his fits are lengthing in frequency. So ruling out illness will give you a better idea. That`s just my opinion. I don't know if an ear infection post flying is something that could happen but my kids didn't always pull on their ears when they got them, but they certainly cried and screamed a lot. Hope today is a better day, Steph and I are thinking of you both always. Can't wait to meet this handsome boy when he is ready.

Bonnie xoxo