Saturday, August 31, 2013

Day Two

It's the end of day two with my son and I don't know what to say... I have no words yet too many words all at the same time. Truly, the day could not have been more perfect. My sweet son slept a solid eleven hours last night, woke up content and, after a nice cuddle with mama, was ready to play. He had a breakfast of champions (3 slices of watermelon, 2 yogurts, Vietnamese noodle soup and half of mama's omelet) and spent a good part of the morning playing with cars and blocks.




We went on our first outing today and I was so impressed with how well he did. He enjoyed a walk around the lake from the safety of his stroller but the highlight for him was definitely our stop at a nearby cafe where he enjoyed sampling mommy and grandma's drinks before devouring his own.

At Hoan Kiem Lake

Trying Grandma's chocolate milkshake... he liked :)

There wasn't a drop of watermelon juice left when he was finished...
this boy loves watermelon!

After that little man literally skipped back to the hotel all while humming a little tune (no, I am not making this up!) and aside from some fatigue, his mood stayed pretty muh the same throughout the rest of the day. He thoroughly enjoyed his dinner (and by that I mean mommy's pasta, which he definitely preferred over his Vietnamese noodles), loved his shower and was even excited about having his teeth brushed! After a nice lotion massage he curled up in mommy's arms where he fell peacefully asleep loving his life, at least for today.

Can I just brag on my son for a minute??? He is sooo smart! I watched him play with cars and blocks for over an hour this morning and was in total awe. Those of you who have spnt time with orphaned and/or recently unorphaned children know how rare it is for these kids, whether specia needs or "typical", to play appropriately with toys for any length of time, let alone a full hour. Yet there my son was driving cars back and forth, building structures of all shapes and sizes, loading the back of his truck with as many blocks as possible and even engaging in imaginary play, babbling back and forth with himself in a language all his own. Samuel picks up new things quickly and remembers how to do it the next time. Over and over today he would struggle to get blocks to stick together or come apart or the tower he was building would fall and break but he never once got frustrated. He has such patience in figuring things out and is determined to get, which he does every time. His new English words for today: uh-oh, boom and all done.

My boy is also so brave... He has been hurt before yet is choosing to trust me and is already beginning to open up his heart to me. Watching him take in all these new things today has been inspiring. He has every reason to be scared, overwhelmed, angry, sad, etc. yet he is embracing each new experience and taking it all in. While I know that the grieving is not over, today was so beautiful and I feel so privileged to be a part of what God is doing in Samuel's life. This little boy is an absolute joy and all I kept thinking today was, "What did I ever do to deserve suh a good and perfect gift?".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We couldn't be happier for you Andrea !! I look forward to reading all your blogs (I swear, I must check the computer every 15 minutes once I know it's 8:00 pm Hanoi time, lol). So nice to know he feels secure and happy with you.
Jo Ann & Dad

Anonymous said...

Yay! Another shout of "GOD IS SOOOOO GOOD!" I think the new chapter of your life has started off so great! Love you lots! Love, Jenny

patty said...

What wonderful news, Andrea!!! I'm so happy for both of you. Praying everything continues to go well.