Monday, April 9, 2012

Still Clinging to HOPE...

I am reposting this from last year. Since I originally wrote this post, Andrey has come home to his forever family (more on that soon!)
and “my” kids have finally been listed for adoption. Still, for every exillerating victory there has been an equally devestating defeat and I find myself desperate for the hope that is only found in Jesus and in his death and resurection.

So, I deceided to repost these words because, well, I need to hear them today as much as I did last year... and maybe you do too.

____________________________________________________

I hope you all had a blessed Easter weekend. Over the course of the past week or so I have been asking God to help me to see the story of Christ’s death and resurrection with fresh eyes, to reveal something new to me and He did. One of the revelations, so to speak, that God gave me over the past few days had to do with the idea of hope

Hope. It’s something I’ve been struggling with lately. I’ve been home nearly three months now and despite all my best efforts, despite all my prayers, nothing has changed for my kids. It’s getting harder and harder to see the hope in their circumstances… I look at Andrey, my big teddy bear. His grant keeps growing, it’s at nearly $5000 now, yet no family has stepped forward for him. Still overlooked, still waiting, still yearning for hope… I think about the rest of “my” kids, the ones not yet listed for adoption, the ones waiting to officially be waiting. I have tried everything I can to find out if they are available for adoption yet still I’ve heard no the news. It’s beginning to feel like a hopeless cause… I struggle to see hope for these kids but I will not give up. Their time may be running out but it’s not up yet and as long as there is a just glimmer of hope, I will choose to keep believing that their day will come.

Then I remember Tanya and Marina and the countless others like them; older children whose time has run out, children hidden behind closed doors, confined to their beds, no chance for anything more. Where is their hope? To that I have no answer...

In the lead up to Easter, God began to speak to me. In the Bible, specifically in the New Testament, hope isn’t described as the promise of a problem-free life, it is not the promise of a life no longer filled with suffering. As a matter of fact, if you look closely, hope is not a promise for this life at all. The New Testament makes it very clear that hope, our hope which lies in Jesus Christ and the sacrifice He made for us on the cross, that hope is for eternity. We live in a world full of evil and unspeakable suffering that I will never understand. The reality is, that will not change until that day that Jesus returns. As long as Satan remains the “prince of this world” (John 14:30), evil and suffering in this life will remain. Yet I feel as though God has given me a whole new understanding of what Jesus did for us on the cross. We can ask, “Where is God in all of this?”, “If God is good, why does He allow innocent children to suffer without hope?”. The answer is, He is hanging on a cross, ensuring that all this suffering will one day come to an end. His ultimate sacrifice was also the ultimate proof of His goodness, the ultimate display of hope.

So, where does all this leave me? I am still heartbroken by the suffering of innocent children around the world. We are not off the hook. We are still called to pray, to give, to advocate… to fight for the least of these who have no voice of their own. Yet I find myself face-to-face with the reality that we cannot save them all and it is in those instances that God has given me a new understanding of hope. For those who will never experience relief in this life, their relief will come in eternity. And somehow, though my human mind will never comprehend it, deep in my spirit I know that when that day comes, all their suffering on this earth will seem light and momentary in light of the glory of eternity. As I sit and meditate on this truth the clouds part and I see it once again… HOPE. Because of what Christ has done for us, there is a bright ray of pure, everlasting hope for all who believe…


“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade.”
(1 Peter 1:3-4)

No comments: