Friday, January 20, 2012

Find My Family Friday - Igor... and "Jacob"


For the past eight months I have been telling you all about Igor (you can read more about Igor here, here, here, here, here and here). I’ve told you about his self-harming behaviours, about his love affair with hands, about his affinity for music, his heartfelt chuckle, his heart melting smile, and his quirky personality. But there’s one thing I haven’t told you, something you may not know… Igor has a brother.


This beautiful little guy, who I will call “Jacob”, is Igor’s brother. “Jacob” is six years old and is in a laying down room at the special needs orphanage. I always knew that “Jacob” existed but when I first saw these updated pictures and information a little over a month ago, I was shocked. I guess I should start at the beginning… When I first started volunteering at the baby orphanage the other missionaries told me that Igor had brother and that he had been transferred to the special needs orphanage. I was told that Igor’s brother was much more severely affected than Igor by whatever genetic disorder the two of them share. I was told that Igor’s brother did not walk or sit up by himself and that he was essentially “unresponsive”. My heart broke for this little boy that I never met. I found myself praying for him from time to time but there was nothing more that I could do. I was already fighting to be able to spend time with even the ‘higher functioning’ kids at the special needs orphanage; I was already struggling to get “my” kids at the baby orphanage, the ones I saw each and every day, listed for adoption… The harsh reality is we cannot help them all and at that time, there truly was nothing I could do for “Jacob”.


Fast forward one year as God continued to be at work in the lives of these kids. God brought Natalie to the same city I had been in and had paved the way for her to continue the work that He had started. Don’t you love how God brings forth the right people to be a part of His perfect plans at just the right time? Natalie heard about “Jacob” and the timing was right – she was able to see him!


When I first saw the pictures I was in tears; he was beautiful, he was happy, he was supporting himself, he was interactive… he was LAUGHING!


What is this little guy doing in a laying down room?! I will never understand… Natalie says that “Jacob” can stand with support for short periods of time. He can sit up on his own with his back against the wall. Natalie describes “Jacob” as such a happy little guy, saying that he giggled through at least 75% of their visits. You can see it in his pictures, the joy that just radiates from him… his beautiful spirit somehow unhampered by the fact that he spends all day, every day alone in his bed.


From what I know, Igor and “Jacob” do not have to be adopted together (although nothing is ever certain in their country) but how great would it be if they were?!








Two beautiful brothers who deserve so much more than the mere existence they are living day after day. “Jacob” is not yet listed on Reece’s Rainbow but you can still help to spread his story and if a family does decide to adopt them together, Igor’s grant will be put towards the total expenses of adopting both boys. Finally, please pray that God would bring forth the right family to bring these boys home and surround them with the love they so desperately need. For more information or to donate, click here.



Igor is listed as “Brody” on Reece’s Rainbow;
in order to protect his identity, when sharing about him on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use his Reece’s Rainbow name

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I can't get over how much they look alike!