Sunday, December 11, 2011

Finally...

After nearly ten months of being back home, I finally have a real job. I’ve been working for two weeks already but things have been so crazy lately, I haven’t even had a chance to tell you about it… I’m working for child protection in the province next to mine, a little over an hour away. I have not moved, nor do I plan to at this point, so it means commuting back and forth each day. It’s not ideal but after 7 long months of looking, I had to take what I could get. To be honest, there are many different things about this job that do not add up in my head when I think about what God has called me to and the promises He has given me. Nevertheless, when I was offered this job I had a great sense of peace that God wanted me to say yes. I am doing my best to continue to trust Him, knowing that my future is in His hands and He has already mapped out each step along the way, even though He often only shows me one step at a time.

A while back as I was reading through the book of Exodus, I was drawn to this conversation that Moses had with God. At God’s command, Moses was getting ready to lead the people of Israel into the promised land. Understandably, Moses was a little nervous and he made the following request:

“Moses said to the LORD, ‘I know that you have told me to lead these people to the land you promised them. But you have not told me who my assistant will be. You have said that you are my friend and that you are pleased with me. If this is true, let me know what your plans are, then I can obey and continue to please you…” (Exodus 33:12-13)

“Let me know what your plans are, then I can obey and continue to please you…” Oh, how I can relate to that prayer. If I’ve prayed it once, I’ve prayed it a thousand times: “God, just tell me what you want me to do. If you make Your will clear then I’ll obey You, no matter what it is. Just please, let me in on the plan…” But do you know what God’s response to Moses was???

“The LORD said, ‘I will go with you and give you peace.’” (Exodus 33:14)

That’s it. He didn’t tell Moses how He was going to do it or when they were going to get there. All He said was, “I will go with you” and that was enough for Moses.

This is the passage I find myself coming back to over and over again. Whenever I want answers to questions such as “why do You have me in this job?”, “how is everything going to come together?”, “when am I going to see the fulfillment of the promises You’ve made to me?”, etc. I hear that gentle voice whispering to my heart: “I will go with you”. And I am learning that that is enough.

No comments: