Wednesday, November 16, 2011

My Katerina

I know that many of you are following the story of little Katerina Musser who is currently on her way home from Eastern Europe with her brand new forever family. For those of you who are not familiar with her story, Katerina is a beautiful orphaned girl with Down syndrome.
At 9 years old, she weighs less than 11 pounds...

Katerina’s story has been circulating through the Reece’s Rainbow community for a couple of months now and it has been amazing to see how God is using one little girl to open the eyes and hearts of so many towards these truly “unwanted” and “forgotten” children languishing in Eastern European institutions. The Musser’s named their Katerina after another tiny 9-year-old girl with Down syndrome who they saw in a video which opened their eyes to the plight of special needs orphans in Eastern Europe (you can see that video here; the original Katerina is featured in a short clip from 2:50-2:55). Over the past couple of months I have found myself thinking often of Katerina… the one from the video who has by now most likely died in that very crib we saw her laying in, the one who was chosen to be rescued and is now on her way home… and the one I left behind – “my Katerina”.

One day back when I was in Ukraine, I was given the rare privilege of visiting one of the bedridden groups at the special needs orphanage. It’s a day I have spoken very little about; a day that I will forever be thankful for, yet a day that will forever haunt me. On that day I met a beautiful 9-year-old girl with Down syndrome named Katerina (or Katya for short). Just the other two Katerina’s, she had dark hair and big brown eyes. Just like the other two Katerina’s, her tiny frame made it impossible to believe that she could truly be 9-years-old. I have no pictures of “my” Katerina but her face is forever etched on my heart. Although I wasn’t sure I would ever find the words to share about that day, I realize now that it’s time. Time for me to pull back the curtains and allow you to experience what I experienced on that day. It’s a long story and I don’t want to leave anything out so I will be doing it in several parts. It may take me a few days, a few weeks or even a few months but in the end I hope that your eyes are opened and your hearts are broken just as mine were on that day.

Stay tuned…

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This is going to break my heart isn't it? :( I will forever stay tuned.