Friday, November 25, 2011

Find My Family Friday - Igor



I have been working on an interview with a mom who adopted a little boy who reminds me in many ways of “my” Igor. Unfortunately, that post will not be ready for today so it will have to wait ‘till next time. In the meantime, I want to encourage you to go over to Jane’s blog and read her post entitled, “So Your Child Self-Harms!”.


I have been sharing a lot about Igor’s self-harming behaviours lately and while I want to be honest so that Igor’s family can be prepared as possible, I also worry that all this talk of Igor’s severe head banging will scare potential families away. Yet Jane has a daughter with Smith Magenis Syndrome who exhibits fairly severe self-injurious behaviours and she wrote a beautiful post this week about the challenges and the joys of parenting her child, just as she as. I thought of Igor the whole time I was reading her post and so, while we wait for what promises to be a very informative interview with another adoptive mama, please go read Jane’s post then come back over here, look back at some of my old posts about Igor (you can do so here, here, here and here) and see Igor, not an unknown ‘disease’ or an illness to be cured but Igor – wonderful and beautiful just the way he is.


For more information on adopting Igor or to donate to his grant fund, click here.

Igor is listed as “Brody” on Reece’s Rainbow;
in order to protect his identity, when sharing about him on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use his Reece’s Rainbow name

1 comment:

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh how wonderful that something i wrotecould help this beautful boy! anybody bring pulled towards Igor who would like to talk to me can contact me anytime!self harming can get tough like any other more typical challenge achild can present but is more than outweighed by the child...the child always holds more of life than a behaviour! LOVE THIS BOY...HE SO NEEDS SOMEBODY TO LOVE HIM AND UNDERSTAND!XXXX