Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Promises

Last week I shared some of the frustration/discouragement I have been feeling lately. Today I want to share about how God has been encouraging me even in the midst of this season of discouragement…

Recently I have been reading through the book of Genesis. I have found myself especially drawn to the story of Abraham and all the promises God made to him. God promised Abraham that He would make him into a great nation, that his descendants would be more numerous than the starts in the sky and that they would possess the land where Abraham was living as a foreigner. Yet it took decades before Abraham would see evidence of any of those promises being fulfilled. Abraham was 75 years old when God first called him to leave his home and go to the land where God promised to make his descendants into a great nation. For years Abraham moved from place to place as a foreigner in a land not his own. Abraham was 100 years old when his wife gave birth to Isaac, the first of the many descendants God had promised him. Finally, Abraham died at the age of 175, never seeing the fulfillment of the promises God had given him. I can only imagine what must have gone through Abraham’s mind during those 100 years of waiting… What he must have been thinking when he arrived in the promised land and then had to flee to Egypt because there was no food… How he must have felt when 20 years later he still had no children to serve as his descendants… Yes, we know that Abraham had his moments of doubt but for the most part, he trusted God to do what He said He was going to do, even when he didn’t understand God’s ways. As Hebrews 11:13 puts it – “All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance…”

Although I hope I don’t have to wait until I’m a hundred years old before God gives me the child(ren) He has promised me, the story of Abraham has helped to bolster my faith even when I don’t see/understand what God is doing. Still it seems that God, in all His goodness, wanted to make sure I heard Him loud and clear. Last week, one the beautiful people I have “met” as a result of this blog sent me an encouraging e-mail where she pointed me to several people from the bible who were “stuck” in seasons of waiting, the first of which was Abraham. Then, I was reading one of the blogs I follow and they too were talking about Abraham and the promises God made to Him. Finally, as if all that wasn’t enough, the DJ on the radio started talking about holding onto the promises God has given you using, you guessed it, Abraham as an example! Three instances in 15 minutes… I had to just stop what I was doing, take some time to let it all soak in and praise God for the way that He was ministering to my heart. I may not understand what God is doing right now but this I do know: God always keep His promises, in His time. So, as hard as the waiting may be sometimes, I will trust Him, even when I cannot see what He is doing.

After the DJ finished speaking he played a song that I have been clinging to for the past month or so…
If you find yourself in a place where you are desperately holding onto the promises God has made, please take a few minutes to listen to this song and allow it to be an encouragement to your heart today.

1 comment:

GrumpyJaxMomOf3 said...

God definitely speaks to us!!! Prayers for you friend!!