Friday, October 21, 2011

Find My Family Friday - Igor



After nine long months, I finally have an update on Igor (you can read more about him in my previous posts here, here and here).


There is good news and there is bad news… The good news is that Igor is still there, at the good preschool-aged orphanage where I last saw him. He has not been transferred nor has the unspeakable happened. The bad news is that Igor has resumed his regular head banging and the bumps on his head are back to ping pong ball size once again.


Oh my heart… Who can say why Igor has started displaying such severe self-harming behaviours again after they had diminished so significantly when I last saw him? It could be that the workers no longer have the time and/or patience to continually divert him. It could be that Igor has simply adjusted to his new environment and even though it is so much better than where he was before, it is still not good enough. It could be that these behaviours are in fact not in response to institutionalization but are a part of who he is, something he will always struggle with. What I do know is that this little boy needs a family. Whether his self-harming behaviours are caused by institutionalization or not, one thing we can be sure of is that an institutional setting is not helping any. Igor needs a family who will love him fiercely and provide him with all the resources he needs to be safe and secure.


Aside from the return of his head banging, Igor still seems happy and content where he is and appears to be the same little boy that I fell in love with – quirky, quiet, and dashingly handsome with a heart melting smile just waiting to be drawn out.


My little boy is growing up, losing his baby like features and starting to look like such a big boy. It makes me both happy and sad at the same time… May I remind you that at eight years old Igor will be transferred and that place will not be as nice as the orphanage he’s at now. He absolutely, positively needs a family before then – the sooner the better. Please help Igor’s family find him by sharing his story, donating to his grant fund and remembering him in your prayers. For more information or to donate, click here.


Igor is listed as “Brody” on Reece’s Rainbow;
in order to protect his identity, when sharing about him on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use his Reece’s Rainbow name

1 comment:

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh my goodness!! Tilly headbangs, it's part of her self-harming that comes with her having Smith Magenis Syndrome!The thought of her doing it unchecked as Brody does fills me with horror!

if anybody wants to contact me about parenting a child with these behaviours then please do...via my blog or email! even if Brody self-harmed as part of an ongoing condition he will still bring utter joy to a family!

please please please come see tilly over at my blog to realise how wonderful these kiddies are regardless of behaviour xxxxx