Friday, September 23, 2011

Find My Family Friday - Liza



Out of all “my” kids, the one I get the most comments and e-mails about is Liza (you can read more about her here and here). She is also the one whose face I find most often on the blogs of other people desperate to find her a family. What can I say? How can anyone resist that beautiful smile or not be captured by the story of one little girl’s infectious joy in spite of the most unjust circumstances? Even my own mother secretly fantasizes about bringing her home (and just for the record, no, that would not be possible). Liza’s bright eyes and ever-present smile tell a story of life and joy and hope all rolled into one yet that may not always be the case…


I’ve debated long and hard over whether I should show you this video. To say that it is hard to watch would be the understatement of the year yet I am sharing it anyway because I want you to understand the urgency of Liza’s situation. Please click on the video below and watch just one minute of the footage somewhere between 25:24 – 36:40 which depicts the future that lies in store for Liza if she is not adopted soon.



I asked you to watch just one minute as opposed to the whole eleven minute clip because I know that even just one minute is unbearable. Yet if we cannot bear to watch just one minute of what life is like for these kids, how can we even begin to understand what they are experiencing day after day? This video was taken at one of the most notorious Eastern European institutions. It is one of the bad ones but one thing I have learned is that when it comes to these rooms (the ones for ‘bedridden’ children), they are all alike, whether they are in a “good” orphanage or a “bad” institute. I have visited one of these rooms at the orphanage that Liza will most likely be sent to (perhaps another story for another time, if I can ever find the words). In watching this video the memories came rushing back and I can say that the groupa in the video and the groupa that I visited are more alike than different. This is the future we are trying to save Liza from; this is the reason we are praying so hard that her family can whisk her away before she ever has to spend even in a single day in a place like this... A place where life, joy and hope all but disappear as rows of children waste away in body, mind and spirit.


So many people have fallen in love with Liza and are advocating for her and praying hard that she would find a family of her own. I believe that God has a family for Liza. Whoever they are, I know that the biggest obstacle for families considering adoption is usually the same – money. It’s an obstacle that often stops families from committing and, once they do commit, lack of funds can often delay the process. How great would it be if that obstacle was removed for whatever family God has chosen for Liza? You can be a part of making that happen. Even if you only have a few dollars to spare, would you please consider donating to Liza’s grant fund this week? You can also help by sharing Liza’s story and asking those in your circle (‘real life’ or online) to donate what they can as well. Finally, as always, please pray that Liza’s family can get to her before she ever has to learn the meaning and implications of the word “bedridden”. . For more information or to donate, click here.


Liza is listed as “Molly” on Reece’s Rainbow;
in order to protect her identity, when sharing about her on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use her Reece’s Rainbow name

3 comments:

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh my!!! Andrea that little boy ramming in the biscuit with shaking hands, obviously so hungry literally finished me!! my heart aches! i can only thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this truth...this is the truth that must surely spure people to action!xxxx

Pam said...

Wow, Just wish we could get more kids rescued faster! Wish we could save them all! Praying to the only one who can save anyone! Dear God, please save the children!

my family said...

found you through Jane@flightplatformliving. What a precious little one, I have seen her on Stephanie's blog too.I pray she finds a family soom b/c that life is too much to bear for anyone much less a precious child