Friday, September 9, 2011

Find My Family Friday - Igor



Lately I have been fortunate enough to be able to share some updates on “my” kids that I have received from adopting families and short-term missionaries who have been to their orphanage over the course of the summer. Today’s ‘Find My Family Friday’ brings us back to Igor (you can read more about him in my previous posts here and here) however I am sad to say that in regards to Igor, I have no update to share.


As you probably remember, Igor was transferred out of the baby orphanage back in December of last year therefore none of the families/missionaries visiting the baby orphanage have been able to see him. The one adoptive family that went to visit Dima (who is at the same orphanage, in the same group as Igor) reported that although they looked for Igor, they did not see him. They did not have the opportunity to ask about him so it was left up to me to guess as to why they did not see him… The kids were all playing outside so he could have just wandered off and been playing with another group. Or maybe he was kept inside for some unknown reason. He could have been in the hospital temporarily as kids are often sent to the hospital for something as simple as a common cold. Or maybe the family just didn’t recognize him. All of those are very probable explanations however it is the last two possibilities I came up with that have me concerned… You see, the orphanage Igor was transferred to is for ‘high-functioning’ children with special needs, the majority of whom have either visual or hearing impairment. I always thought Igor was kind of a strange match for that particular orphanage but because he was transferred at the same time as Dima (who is visually impaired) I thought maybe they just moved Igor there too because it was easier. It is such a good facility and Igor was doing so well there, I certainly wasn’t going to complain. Now however, in hearing that the adoptive family did not see Igor there, I wonder if maybe the director realized that they had made a mistake and Igor did not belong there.


I’ve shared before that while I was in Eastern Europe, out of all “my” kids Igor was the one I was most concerned about. Lately, when I think about / pray for Igor I feel those old familiar knots returning in my stomach. It’s been 7.5 months since I last saw Igor. 7.5 months with no updates, no new pictures, no one to tell me whether or not he’s doing ok. I’ve shared before about what being transferred to an institution would mean for Igor. Then there’s the reality that in Igor’s country, orphans die every year even from something as simple as the flu… The final, unspeakable possibility that I do not even want to think about. Not knowing where he is, if he’s ok… it makes me feel sick to my stomach.


Pretty soon Dima’s family will be there and I will be able to find out what the situation is with Igor. In the meantime, I want to ask you to pray for this little boy. Pray that, wherever he is, that God would surround him with His presence and His peace. Pray that God would hold him close and protect him from all harm. Pray that his family would find him soon. By all means, share his story or donate to his grant fund if you feel led to do so but above all, please pray. For more information or to donate, click here.


Igor is listed as “Brody” on Reece’s Rainbow; in order to protect his identity,
when sharing about him on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use his Reece’s Rainbow name

1 comment:

GrumpyJaxMomOf3 said...

Praying for this sweet boy.... I want to go and get him right now, but I am not able :(