Sunday, August 21, 2011

A happy birthday...

I have to say, I’ve never been really big on birthdays. It’s not that I dislike them, I don’t. It has nothing to do with getting older. It’s not even about the amount of money that often gets spent on useless, meaningless stuff (although that does get to me sometimes). I guess that I just never thought that birthdays were that big of a deal. Don’t get me wrong, I love getting together for dinner with my whole family and I’ve never been one to turn down birthday cake but I don’t feel the need for my birthday to be anything more than that.

Maybe it’s because of my disdain for being the center of attention, something which seems to be unavoidable when everyone knows it’s your birthday. Perhaps I can chalk it all up to a couple of traumatic experiences in my adolescence… I still remember my 13th birthday when my family took me to my favourite restaurant and the waiters forced me to stand on my chair wearing a goofy hat while they sang and the rest of the restaurant stared. Traumatized. For. Life. Then there was the year I turned 15 while away at camp and they made me stand in front of everyone for what felt like hours while they sang and I desperately pleaded with God to make me invisible.

Whatever the reason, I like to keep my birthday a secret and am quite happy when I make it through the day without anyone (outside of my family of course) finding out. Back in April however, my friend Julia celebrated her birthday in a way that made me reconsider. To celebrate her birthday, Julia invited all her blog friends to donate to a family who was working hard to bring their child(ren) home. I loved Julia’s idea so much that I’ve decided to break my vow of silence. So, here goes…

TODAY IS MY 27TH BIRTHDAY

There, I have officially let the cat out of the bag. Now for the fun part… If you want to help make my birthday an especially happy one, then I invite you to donate to one (or more) of the grant funds below. Give $5, $20, $100, whatever you can afford and then let me know you donated by commenting below or e-mailing me at ambassadoroflove@live.ca.

You’ve seen their faces, you’ve heard their stories but allow me to remind you once again…
(click on their Reece's Rainbow names to donate)

ANDREY / “AIDEN”


Andrey has visual impairment and the lowest grant out of all my kids… help increase his chance at a family.



Igor’s autism makes living in an institutionalized setting especially difficult for him… help him find peace and security in a family.

DENIS / “RYAN”


Denis has a life threatening condition and is wasting away in the orphanage… help him find his family before his time runs out.



Liza is full of life and joy but she will remain bedridden once she is transferred… help her family find her before its too late.



Dima’s family already found him. He could be in their arms in as little as a month but they still need to raise a lot of money to make that happen… help them bring their son home.

We’ve already seen what a big difference that grant money makes. Andrey found his family on the same day that his grant reached $20,000! That’s why, as much as I hate the thought of announcing my birthday to the world, I’m doing it anyway. I would do anything to see my kids in the arms of their forever families. Help me celebrate my birthday by donating to their grant funds and maybe next year we can celebrate all my angels being at home with their families!

p.s. I already got the best early birthday present ever when I saw Andrey’s face on the “My Family Found Me” page…
Still, if anyone out there has been considering adopting one of my other kids, I couldn’t think of a better day to make it official – that would truly make this my best birthday ever!

3 comments:

Dana said...

Happy Birthday Andrea!!!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry i did not tell you happy birthday sooner. david is on the computer and i have been working for an hour trying to figure out how to make tabis kindle post this. sorry about all those other birthdays hope this one was great. you are wise beyond your years! if i could figure out how to use caps i would yell happy birthday!!!!
amanda burlingham

Kim said...

Thank you for what you are doing on the blog. I am one of those Mama's who adopted through RR this past year. I, like you, have seen the need and struggled with leaving so many when I knew what they were facing. I've felt torn this past year because bringing our daughter home has been an incredibly hard transition and our bonding has gone very slowly. I desperately want to posts blogs about how easy it was to welcome her into my heart to encourage other families to go find their kids, but that hasn't been the case for me and I won't lie about it. So I find myself not being able to advocate for the kids we left behind because I'm afraid my story would discourage those who might otherwise step out in faith. I have confidence that some day that story will change and I will be able to say with all honesty that I love this child with all my heart and that she loves me back, but until then while we work through the messiness of a hard adoption I am grateful for people like you who refuse to let these kids be forgotten. Thank you.