Friday, July 22, 2011

Find My Family Friday - Igor




Today I want to share with you a little more about Igor (you can read my first post about him here). I experienced many heart wrenching moments with Igor but there is one that stands out above the rest… One afternoon I arrived at the baby orphanage and as I was walking through the gates I could already hear Igor’s screams coming through the open windows. As I walked into his room I saw Igor in a walker, tied with a sheet around his waist to the leg of the playpen. He was thrashing and screaming and banging his head on the post behind him while the workers sat at a small table laughing and chatting as though nothing was going on. So often when I was inside the orphanage I saw things that appalled me yet I had no choice but to “ignore” them, to not say anything or show any reaction knowing that doing so would get me kicked out. This time however, I just couldn’t sit back and do nothing. The workers on duty that day liked me and were always really nice to me so I asked them if I could take Igor out and they said yes. Normally Igor likes to be held but when he continued thrashing around in my arms I tried setting him down to see if that would help. He was equally, if not even more upset and began smashing his head on the floor so I decided to hold him and at least that way I could protect him from hurting himself. It was the most upset I ever saw him and I remember praying in desperation asking God what I should do. Igor always liked it when I sang to him and for some reason, he seemed to respond the most to the hymn It Is Well With My Soul.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.




It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

I started to sing quietly over him and just kept singing. Slowly Igor began to relax until his head rested peacefully on my shoulder. I went home that night more physically and emotionally drained than any other day. The bruises from where he was banging his head on my chest lasted about a week but the memories from that afternoon will last lifetime.


The more time I spent with Igor, the more peaceful he seemed to become but it wasn’t until after he was transferred that I witnessed just how different his life could be. I walked into the room and saw Igor, the little boy who used to scream as food was shoved into his mouth faster than anyone could possibly swallow, sitting calmly at the table eating his orange without any hurry. When he was finished, he got up from the table and wandered freely around the room before coming and plopping himself in my lap. He was like a totally different child and he was still in an orphanage! Can you imagine what potential this sweet boy could have in a family? When it was time to say goodbye, I sang Igor’s favourite song over him one last time as he lounged peacefully in my arms. Is it any wonder that this boy holds my heart?


Speaking of hearts, look what I got in the mail this week!


I’m showing you a picture but honestly, pictures don’t do it justice; these necklaces are just gorgeous! “Wow! I just have to have one of those… where can I get one?” I’m glad you asked :) Debbi, Igor’s warrior, is selling them on her blog and for just a $15 donation to Igor’s grant fund you can be the proud owner of a heart necklace of your very own. The sensation of the necklace around my neck reminds me to pray for this sweet boy and I hope that yours does the same. Igor needs a mama who will sing him songs of hope and peace, he needs a papa whose strong, loving arms will make him feel safe and secure. Would you help me in spreading Igor’s story and join me in praying for this sweet little boy, that he would experience peace, comfort and security and that his family would find him soon? For more information or to donate, click here.


Igor is listed as “Brody” on Reece’s Rainbow; in order to protect his identity, when sharing about him on your own blogs, facebook pages, etc. please use his Reece’s Rainbow name

1 comment:

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

once more my dear friend your words and experiences touch me to the very core! I pray pray pray that this beautiful boy who relaxed in your arms to listen to songs soon has his mummy to do this every day! xxxx thankyou for linking this to the forget me not friday linkup and sharing this sweet boy with us. love jane xxx