Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Cards for Congo

On the list of things that make my heart happy, two that would definitely be up near the top are 1) Helping orphans, and 2) Seeing kids who are passionate about making a difference. For that reason, I was excited today when I discovered the Terry Family. The Terry family has three children, ages 7, 4 and 3, the youngest of whom was adopted from the Democratic Republic of Congo in February of last year. Currently those three children are hard at work raising money for the orphans of their little brother’s birth country. As most of you know, last year I spent three months at an orphanage in Congo and, as is true with every trip I have gone on, I left a piece if my heart there. The circumstances that have caused the orphan crisis in Congo are horrifying beyond words. Most of the kids I was working with witnessed their parents being murdered right in front of them. Some were little babies at the time and the trauma that resulted is not something that they can put into words. For others who were older, the memories remain and they can describe the events in detail.

I continue to think about my Congo kids often. I miss the kids that I mothered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for three months. I have seen what life is like for the kids over there and for that reason, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to be a part of what these three little ones are doing to make a difference. The Terry kids are selling greeting cards printed with their very own artwork. You can buy a pack of 10 for just $10 for Americans / $12 for Canadians, shipping included. The two oldest kids came up with this idea all by themselves and apparently they get so excited they dance around every time they get an order – how sweet is that??? For more information or to order your own, click here.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I've loaded you into my reader :-)

Joanna said...

Hi Andrea! Just wanted to let you know that I reposted your post about Andrey on my blog. Hope you don't mind!

Have an awesome day!!

Amanda said...

That is such a cute idea! I love to see kids doing things like this. It reminds me of something Kyah would do. I will share this on Facebook tomorrow.