Friday, May 6, 2011

The Big News...

Sorry to keep you all in suspense but I have been waiting too… I have been waiting nine months for this day to come. I guess I should start at the beginning…

As you all know, 9 months ago I embarked on a journey to show the love of God to ‘unwanted’ children in Ukraine. The first orphanage I visited was the local baby orphanage. There was a group of special needs toddlers there. They were the first kids I met, the first kids I fell in love with, the ones who would affectionately become known as “my angels”… It didn’t take long for these kids to capture my heart and I began to pray for them. I prayed for God’s peace, His presence, His healing and His comfort in their lives and I prayed for families to adopt them, thus granting them hope and a future. I soon discovered that most of my kids were not even listed for adoption and what I thought would be a fairly easy task of getting them listed, turned into a never-ending battle. I tried again and again to meet with the director to get the necessary information and each time it was in vain. When the director finally told me to stop asking questions or she would kick me out of the orphanage I felt as though I had been punched in the stomach, my spirit crushed. I felt as though I had failed my kids. I would soon be leaving and with no chance for adoption, they would have no chance for a future.

Fast forward through the part I probably shouldn’t talk about on a public blog and by the time I got home I had their information. The next step was to find out whether or not they were legally available for international adoption and again I was met with wall after wall, delay after delay. I never stopped praying for families for my kids but to be honest, I had started to believe that it would never happen. I had the necessary information for five of my kids (one of whom I’d already found out was not available for adoption) yet even when I was able to muster up the faith that I would eventually hear back about their availability, I did not expect them all to be available. But here’s the beautiful thing – even when these kids were overlooked by others, God never forgot them! Even when I was ready to throw in the towel, He never gave up on them! On Sunday night I received an e-mail containing six of the most beautiful words I have ever read… “all of these children ARE available”!!! I didn’t know whether to laugh, scream or cry so I did all three and praised the Father in heaven for His unfailing love towards His children.

Today, four of the most precious faces appeared on Reece’s Rainbow and I felt as though a huge victory had been won. God must have some pretty amazing plans for these kids because the enemy sure hasn’t made things easy! There is still a huge battle that must be fought… there’s the need for families to step forward for these kids, there’s the $25,000 it will take to bring them home, there’s the ever looming uncertainty surrounding whether or not Ukraine will even remain open for international adoption. Still, at least now they have a chance and I believe that God who brought them this far will continue to carry them the rest of the way home. For the last couple of months I have been praying that God would use this time of waiting to work on the hearts of the families that He has chosen for these children, that by the time they were listed their families would be ready to snatch them up. That continues to be my prayer. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve waited long enough already.

I have been thinking and praying about how I would go about advocating for these now that I know that they’re available. I’m so anxious to tell you all about them but the problem is, I have so much to say I could never squeeze it all into one post. So, starting next week I will be doing “Find My Family Friday” posts where I will highlight one child at a time… I can’t wait! In the meantime, if you want a sneak peak at the newest, sweetest (ok, I’m a little biased) angels on Reece’s Rainbow click here (their names have been changed but I think you’ll recognize some of the faces).

4 comments:

patty said...

Andrea,

This is such wonderful news. Thank you for being so persistant in getting permission for these children to be listed on RR. I will pray that families come forward for each of your angels. I will also continue to keep you in my prayers as you follow the plan that God has for you.
Patty

Sabrina said...

I was so excited to see some new faces yesterday and some that I recognized from your blog! Great job!

Sarah said...

YAY YAY YAY! I'm soo happy for these sweet angels! :) Thank you Andrea for all your hard work and persistance to give these children a chance at life!
Sarah

Breanne said...

Praise God for you Andrea!