Saturday, January 15, 2011

One year ago today...

One year ago today I boarded a plane to Africa and embarked on what may forever be remembered as the most adventurous year of my life. It’s crazy to think about all that this year has entailed; one month in Uganda, three months in Congo, two months at home, six months in Ukraine… I experienced the fulfillment of God’s promise to bring me back to Uganda and spent four heavenly weeks loving and laughing and simply being among the people who make up my favourite place on earth. I saw God strip away so many comforts that I had never gone without – running water, electricity, a full stomach, sharing a common language with those around me… and in the midst of it all I learned to depend solely on God and drew closer to Him than ever before. I developed a new, profound appreciation for my family and became more intentional about cherishing the time I have with them. I fell in love with “the least of these” and marvelled at how God could use a handful of children to change my heart in such a big way. This year has changed me in ways I cannot even begin to describe. I am not the same person who boarded that plane one year ago. I have experienced pure joy and heart wrenching pain. My faith has been challenged like never before and my trust in God has grown stronger while my understanding of His ways has diminished. Most of all, I have experienced a bit more of what it means to have my heart broken by the things that break God’s heart. While this year has held many joyous moments, it has also been a year of pain, of loneliness, of heartache and of brokenness and I wouldn’t change one thing. God has done a transforming work in my life this year. I can’t go back to who I was before and I wouldn’t want to even if I could.

I recently had someone ask me if this upcoming year would be as exciting as 2010? Well, I don’t know what this next year has in store but I do know this: when you decide to follow God wherever He leads you, it is always an adventure… So, here’s to an exciting 2011!

1 comment:

The Priests are Growing! said...

I am so grateful for your 2010!