Monday, January 24, 2011

My boys


Me & Igor... my heart

Dima
About a month ago I posted about two of my precious boys who had been transferred from the baby orphanage. For the past month I have wondered and worried, prayed and cried for these boys. I had been told where they were but with the holidays and everything else it was difficult to find a good time to visit. Well, today I finally got to do just that and what I found was better than I could have ever imagined. The orphanage Dima and Igor were transferred to is a small orphanage with only 58 children, all higher functioning special needs children of "preschool" age (ages 4-8). I didn't get to meet the director as she was sick but I was told that she is very good and that was clear by the atmosphere at the orphanage. We went inside and were allowed to go directly to Dima and Igor’s group to spend time with all the children there. Their group had just six kids (3 girls who are blind and a little boy with arthrogryposis, Dima and Igor) and two workers – an incredible staff to child ratio! The workers were great, very loving and affectionate towards the kids and it was clear that they cared about them very much. Both boys were obviously very comfortable there and I could not believe the difference in Igor. As you may remember, at the baby orphanage Igor engaged in a lot of self-harming behaviours, most specifically head banging. He would bang his head on the floor hard and often to the point that he had very large, permanent bumps on his head. When he wasn’t banging his head on the floor he would hit himself with his fist and generally would not go more than a couple of minutes without hitting himself. Well, when I saw him today the bumps on his head were visibly smaller and he didn’t hit himself once for the entire hour we were there!


As for Dima, you may remember that I mentioned that there were several families considering adopting him only no one was sure if he would still be available now that he had been transferred… Well, not only is the director at this orphanage open to adoption, she is actively seeking to find families for all of these kids so that they don’t have to be transferred when they turn 8-years-old. As a result, Dima is without a doubt still available and I was able to get the information necessary to have Igor listed for adoption as well!

As you can see, it was a good day. It was so hard to say goodbye to my boys when the hour was up and yes, tears were shed, but I am just so thankful that I was given the chance to say goodbye. Thank you so much to all of you who have prayed for these boys of mine… Once again, God has heard us and He is at work on behalf of His children. Please pray for the family that is right now very seriously considering committing to adopt Dima and stay tuned for how you can play a part in paying his ransom. Also, please pray that we would indeed be able to get Igor listed and that his family would step forward soon.

God is good!

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Oh my goodness Andrea! This post and those two pictures completely made my whole day. I'm overjoyed that two of my little boys are happy and healthy. The move we were all dreading turned out to be a blessing after all. They are just beautiful.