Wednesday, December 8, 2010

No Flashing Signs

As many of you know, at the end of January the six months that I committed to being here in Ukraine will be coming to a close. This leaves me with a big decision to make. At this point I don’t feel as though God is calling me to extend my time in Ukraine however I don’t want to close the door on anything. I have also been considering going to another country here in Eastern Europe to volunteer with orphans there. Or there is of course the option to return home as scheduled and take things from there…

Do you ever wish that God would write the answer in the sky or maybe send you some air traffic controllers with orange batons to show you which way to go? There is a verse in Isaiah that says, “and you will hear a voice say, ‘This is the way; turn around and walk here.’” (30:21 NLT) Whenever I read that verse I can’t help but picturing those words written on a bright, neon sign with an arrow flashing underneath… Wouldn’t that be nice? Sometimes God does speak loud and clear like that. I think of the burning bush, the writing on the wall or one of my personal favourites, the talking donkey. I also think of examples in my own life when God’s direction was so clear – Praying for years for an opportunity to minister to orphans in Eastern Europe then out-of-the-blue hearing about a well-established Canadian missionary who was doing exactly what I wanted to be doing, e-mailing him to find out whether I might be able to volunteer with his ministry and within just a few hours having him write back and say, “come!”. And how can I ever forget the angel who found me when I was stranded at the border of Congo and Rwanda, God’s way of saying, “Just in case you wondering, you are exactly where I want you.” This time however, God’s direction has not been so clear. I’ve been praying, thinking, weighing and reasoning but ultimately, my desire above all else is to follow God wherever He leads me. This song by Chris Tomlin has been my anthem over the past few weeks:

Where you go, I'll go
Where you stay, I'll stay
When you move, I'll move
I will follow you
Who you love, I'll love
How you serve, I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow you
I will follow you

I would appreciate your prayers for guidance and confirmation as I seek God’s will & direction… whether it comes in the form of a flashing neon sign or a quiet, gentle whisper.

2 comments:

Patti said...

The talking donkey is one of my favourites too ... I love the part where "Balaam answered the donkey...." Answered! as if talking donkeys are NORMAL! haha

Will be praying for guidance for you ... love your angel story from last February.

Leanne said...

I am praying for you - that you will receive and understand His direction clearly! Got your email, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Crazy busy, but will get back with you soon!