Wednesday, December 29, 2010

God in the Small Stuff... Christmas Miracles

I realized the other day that I am always quick to share the stories of how God has moved in big ways while the stories of God working in the small stuff often go untold. I’m quick to tell about how God opened up a way for me to get inside the orphanage after 7 weeks of waiting and praying, or about how God provided a $400 coat and $900 worth of medication all for free but when it comes to the less ‘extraordinary’ stories I hesitate, maybe because I wonder if anyone else will find them as exciting as I do. The truth is, I am often more in awe of the way God works in the simple things than I am of the big things that He does. He is the Almighty God, nothing is too hard for Him and while I marvel at the great displays of His power, what amazes me most is that the God of the Universe even cares about the small, simple details of our lives. That said, I want to share these two stories with you of how I have seen God at work in the small stuff lately…

I've been working on stockings for my groups at the special needs orphanage which I will be giving out in January. Along with some of the fun stuff I’ve been purchasing here (toys, candy, etc.), I’m also planning on including some of the donations I brought from home (toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.). Before I came I sent out a list of items I would be collecting to donate to the orphanages here. One of those items was children’s socks. I received many pairs of children’s socks and also purchased several hundred from a really good sale on at Zellers (6 pairs for $1.50!!!). Unfortunately however, I realized that there was no way any of those socks were going to be big enough for the girls in my "girl's group" (a.k.a. the princesses) who are mostly in their late teens and I was quite sad about that. Well, a couple weeks ago I was going through some of the stuff that I brought from home and found some socks that I had totally forgotten about. They were given to me by one of my supporters and are these long, beautiful, girls’ socks that are just the right size! Here's the best part, there are 13 girls in that group and as I counted the socks... yep, 13 exactly. There are even two pairs that are smaller than the rest which is perfect as there are two girls in that group that are significantly smaller! Wow. I remember when I received the socks I thought, “Hmm, 13, that’s an odd number…” Now I get all teary thinking about how much God cares about these girls that before I even got here He sent someone to buy exactly the right number of socks in just the right size...


A couple months ago I got the idea to take Christmas pictures of all the kids being adopted from my orphanage and I have been looking forward to it ever since. Then, last month we received this huge hockey bag full of donated clothes and as I was sorting through it I found some "Baby's First Christmas" sleepers and I immediately put them aside knowing just what/who I would use them for. You may remember Dasha and Andriy as my two littlest angels from the children’s hospital who will be being adopted together. Recently the two of them have been being kept in an isolation room at the baby orphanage and as a result, I haven’t been able to see them. I was thrilled when the week before Christmas Andriy was moved back to his group and was praying that the staff would allow me to take Dasha's picture (without changing her clothes or anything) even though she was still in isolation. I was also praying that the right workers would be in Andriy's room as some are really nice, friendly, let me do whatever I want with the kids, etc. while others are obviously not too happy about me being there and don't even let me take the kids out of their cribs. On the morning of Christmas Eve, I headed over to the orphanage armed with my camera and Christmas outfits and as I was standing outside the orphanage waiting for Lienna and praying I was reminded of all the other things I'd prayed for while standing in that same spot; that God would open up the doors to get me inside the orphanage, for families for my kids, etc. Praying about a Christmas photo seemed so insignificant compared to all of that but as I mentioned earlier, one of my favourite things about God is how much He cares about the "small" stuff... Well, I walked into Andriy's group and there was Dasha – she had been moved out of the isolation room! Then, in talking to the worker, we discovered that she was a Christian! There are only like 3 Christians that work in the whole orphanage and I know it wasn't a coincidence that one of them was working in their group that day. We explained everything to her and not only did she allow us to take the picture, she really got into it, bringing out a special blanket to lay them on, trying to get them to look at the camera, etc. The whole thing went way better than I could have ever imagined…
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so awesome!

The Priests are Growing! said...

Amazing... How I love to watch God use you...

Melissa said...

God is SO GOOD!!!!