Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Changes at the Babies' Orphanage

The past week and a half has been quite frustrating as far as the babies’ orphanage is concerned. In order to receive more money from the government (the government pays the orphanages based on how many kids they have), the orphanage has taken in a group of older children who have families who can’t afford to care for them. So, last Monday my group was split in two with half of the kids being moved to another group while the other half stayed behind along with 8 new, older children. I nearly cried as they took my kids out of the room, not sure if I would be able to see them anymore. Since then, things in my original group have been rough. The majority of the new kids are between the ages of 5-7 and the kids that were left in that group were the most severely handicapped ones, several of whom cannot sit up on their own. It was literally impossible for me to do anything with them with half a dozen loud kindergarten-aged kids running wild.

This morning I was finally able to meet with the head supervisor to discuss how I could continue to work with the special needs kids. The supervisor told me I could still spend time with my kids from both groups and that if I didn’t want to stay in their room, I could taken them down to the main hall where the adoptive families visit with their children. Then she asked me if I would be able to work with two deaf boys who just received hearing aids from the government. They are introducing the hearing aids to the kids gradually and wanted me to watch them to make sure they don’t pull them out, etc. Of course I said yes and how delighted I was to discover that there were several kids with Down syndrome and other special needs in their group as well! I had so much for with those little cuties this morning and then this afternoon I got to love on two of my angels who I haven’t seen since last Monday… It was a good day.

So, now I am faced with the challenge of trying to split my time between three groups… One thing I’ve learned is that nothing here stays the same for very long. Who knows how long this new schedule is going to last but, in the meantime, here are a few of my new buddies…

Artem

Andrey
(who I posted about yesterday)

Aloysha

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hmmm, I don't believe Aloysha is on RR. Did you let Andrea R know about him? I wonder what his story is. Man! I can honestly say that I really miss being there if just for the chance to see and love on these kids. I wish we had been able to see these little guys while we were there. I'm working on a post about Vika and Tonya right now, I misss those two munchkins!