Friday, October 15, 2010

Answers...

Not many questions to answer but here goes…

How did you end up in the Ukraine?
I’m going to try to give you the full version without making it too long… I went on my first overseas missions trip to Uganda in 2006 and those three weeks changed me forever. In the weeks, months and years that followed that trip (and my second, longer trip the next year) God broke my heart for the poor and grew in me a deep love for the orphan, specifically the “unwanted and forgotten”. My heart beat for Africa and I longed for the day He would fulfill the promise He had spoken to me and send me back there again (which He did in January of this year). In the meantime, while following the blogs of families that were adopting from the orphanage I had volunteered at in Uganda, I stumbled across Reece's Rainbow and God opened my eyes to the plight of special needs orphans here in Eastern Europe. As I continued to learn more about the conditions over here I knew that these were the “unwanted and forgotten children” that God had called me to. I began praying that God would open up a way for me to come and share His love with these children and about two years later the opportunity just fell into my lap… and here I am!

Where did you grow up and go to school?
I was born and raised in Montreal and, except for my missions’ excursions, I have lived there my whole life. I went to school at McGill University and graduated with my Bachelors of Social Work in May of 2007. I have been in full-time ministry/missions ever since.

N.B. For those of you who are interested, Yulia’s family now has a blog… you can follow their journey here.

No comments: