Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Waging War

“For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms…” (Ephesians 6:12)

I know it’s been a while since I’ve updated but for the past several days Lienna and I have been inching closer and closer towards getting inside the babies’ orphanage. Its involved phone calls to the director, meetings with the head supervisor, discussions with the workers and the purchasing of indoor sandals and lab coats but I’ve been hoping and praying that eventually it would lead to us being allowed inside. Anyway, one of the workers who was on today speaks a little bit of English and is always happy to see me because it means she can practice her English. Well, today when they brought the kids inside Lienna asked her if we could stay and help give the kids lunch. She asked if we had slippers & a lab coat and if we had gotten permission from the director and supervisor and when Lienna said yes she broke into a big smile and said “Welcome!”. Ah, it was like music to my ears…

While we were outside one of the little girls threw up and when they brought her in they took her temperature and found that she had a fever so they started taking the temperatures of the other kids as well. Meanwhile, Lienna and I played with the kids. After we had been there about 10 minutes I began to feel really lightheaded. I thought it was just because the room was warm and that it would go away but it just got worse and worse until I realized that if I didn’t sit down I was going to end up on the floor. It was so bad that on my way out of the room everything went black and I had to catch myself on the doorway to keep from falling. I sat in the hallway trying to pull it together but nothing helped. Then, after about two minutes Lienna came out and said that several of the kids had fevers so we had to leave. The whole thing was just weird. No, I do not think I have whatever it is the kids have. As a matter of fact, I felt totally fine as soon as Lienna said we had to go. I can come to no other conclusion except that this is spiritual. One thing I do know, if God’s heart is for the orphan (which it is), then the enemy is set against them.

I feel like God opened my eyes today to the spiritual battle that is going on for these kids and I am grateful. The truth is, I would take spiritual warfare over just plain bureaucracy any day. This is something I know how to deal with. Just yesterday during my quiet time I came across 2 Corinthians 10:3-4, “We are human, but we don’t wage war with human plans and methods. We use God’s mighty weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds.” This is not a battle that can be won through planning and strategizing or bribery and charm. This is a battle that requires God’s might weapons, namely prayer and fasting. Our God is greater, our God is stronger and our God is higher than any other. Our God is awesome in power and if He is for us, then nothing can stand against us. I know I’m starting to sound like a broken record but nevertheless, please continue to pray that God would open up the way for me to get inside the babies’ orphanage and that all of the enemy’s strongholds over that place would be knocked down.

No comments: