Thursday, September 16, 2010

Renewed Vision

It’s been a while since I’ve said anything about getting into the special needs orphanage and the children’s hospital and I imagine that some of you are wondering what’s going on there. Well, as you may remember, both of those places required me to get certain medical tests done before I could begin volunteering there. I got the results from my tests a couple weeks ago but then we were told that the special needs orphanage was under quarantine and at that point there were no abandoned babies at the children’s hospital (as my friend Darren would say, a good problem to have…). Finally, last Friday we got word that the quarantine had been lifted from the orphanage and the hospital had received one baby that we could come spend time with. The catch? Both places would only allow us to come between the hours of 10:00-12:00 which, incidentally, is the same time I am allowed to be at the baby’s orphanage. To be honest, to me that was the most frustrating news yet and I found myself feeling more discouraged than ever. I had been looking forward to hearing that there was somewhere I could spend some time in the afternoons, not that I could continue to spend only two hours a day with the kids, only now I would have to split my time between three places. Plus, I felt like we were slowly making progress at the babies’ orphanage but I wasn’t sure that would continue to be the case if I was only there a couple times a week.

As I spent the weekend praying about all of it, I was reminded of my prayer from soon after I got here. My heart was gripped by the needs I saw at the babies’ orphanage, special needs orphanage and children’s hospital and my desire was to be able to volunteer in all three. I prayed however, that if God would have me focus on just one place that He would release me from the burden I felt for the others. Well, over the past weeks I have yet to even step foot inside the special needs orphanage or children’s hospital. In the meantime, I have been going to the babies’ orphanage nearly every day, often twice a day and I have fallen in love with the special needs kids there. Although I would still love to be able to spend time with the kids at the hospital and special needs orphanage, I no longer feel the same burden for those places that I once did. So, I have decided that I will continue to go to the babies’ orphanage every morning from 10:00-12:00 and then again at 4:00 in the afternoon, praying that as time goes on that God would open up the door for me to spend more and more time there. As for the other two places, well, if for some reason there is a morning where I am not able to go to the babies’ orphanage then I will try to visit one of the other two. Or, if the opportunity arises I would love to spend some time there in the afternoons. In the meantime however, I feel like God has called me to be at the babies’ orphanage and so I am going to focus the majority of my time, efforts and prayers there.

No comments: