Monday, September 27, 2010

Reaching Out...

Wow, what a morning. I woke up this morning and it was raining, again. “Well,” I thought, “this’ll be a good test to see if they’re really going to let me inside. Otherwise, hopefully I can go to the children’s hospital.” So, I prayed and asked God to have His way with this day and then I headed over to the babies’ orphanage. The workers told us that they weren’t bringing the kids outside today so Lienna asked if we could come in and they said yes! I have to tell you, I was shocked (oh, such little faith I have…). We played with the kids inside for half an hour then the sun came out so we took them outside for about an hour, brought them back in and played a bit more before lunch when I was able to feed two of my angels. All in all we spent a full 2 hours and 45 minutes with the kids, nearly two hours of which was inside! I know I shouldn’t be so stunned but I am. Only God… ONLY GOD.

That brings me to my request… I have no idea what I’m doing with these kids! I have never worked with special needs kids before and honestly, I’m just making it up as I go along. Outside it was easy, hold them or push them in the stroller, but inside there is room for more than that. I don’t need any help loving on them but I would love to do more to help them reach more of their potential. So, I’m reaching out for help. I know that there are people out there reading this blog who are parents of special needs children or who have worked with children with special needs. Some of you I know and we have been in touch but I’m sure there are others I don’t know of. There are kids here with Down Syndrome, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, blindness and other unspecified mental/developmental handicaps. Some are strictly physical, others simply mental and others a combination of the two. The language barrier adds an extra challenge in assessing and working with these kids but I would be extremely grateful for any advice or resources anyone could offer me. If you have any experience with children with special needs of any kind please contact me at: ambassadoroflove@live.ca

No comments: