Friday, September 10, 2010

Answers...

So, I didn’t get many questions last week (thanks Jenny, I knew I could count on you!) but don’t worry if you missed out this time, I’ll do it again. In the meantime, here are my answers to the questions that came in…

Have you been to church in Ukraine? What is it like?
Yes, we go to the same church every Sunday morning as well as Thursday evenings. It’s called “Church of Praise” and although I don’t know what denomination it is, I would describe it as Pentecostal with flags during worship, praying in tongues, etc. I kind of compare it to a cross between Eden Revival church in Uganda and the Metro Ministries church in New York; I love it. The service starts off with a whole hour of worship and prayer which is often the highlight of my week. My reading is slowly improving and I am also beginning to learn some of the songs so I find myself singing along more and more but even when I can’t, it doesn’t really matter because the worship is so powerful you don’t even need words. The second hour of the service is a little more painful at times as the sermons are all in Russian but every once in a while we get translation or there’s an English-speaking guest speaker which is always very exciting.

What is your favorite food there and what food are you missing from home?
My favourite food here is definitely perogies although borscht is a close second, especially on a cool day. As for what food I’m missing from home, I don’t really know. You can get most things here, the problem is actually finding and recognizing it in the stores. Because I’m lazy when it comes to cooking, especially when I’m in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar ingredients, I’ve been eating mostly the same simple meals like grilled cheese, eggs, spaghetti, etc. which I am quickly growing tired of. So, I guess what I miss most is “real food”, having a kitchen stocked with all the basic ingredients and cooking supplies, being able to read the labels and know what I’m buying at the grocery store. But hey, after Congo, I have nothing to complain about.

Are you only staying in one region?
At this point I don’t have plans to go anywhere else however I am open to whatever God may have in store for me. Given how much trouble I am having getting in to the orphanages here even though I am going in under the umbrella of a very respected man who’s been here over 10 years, I have a hard time imagining myself going somewhere where I didn’t have some sort of connection unless God very clearly called me to do so. That said, who knows what God has planned… I’m just taking things one day at a time. (Anonymous – I would however love to hear more about your little girl and any connections you may have in Torez… feel free to e-mail me at ambassadoroflove@live.ca)

No comments: