Thursday, August 5, 2010

Update

Well, I have a bit of a break for the next few hours so I thought it would be a good time for an update… We went to McDonald’s for dinner last night and tonight we’re going to TGI Friday’s. Not exactly the mission’s field I’m used to but I’m not complaining.

I wish I could tell you I’ve learned a bunch of new Russian words but so far not much has been sticking in my brain. I can recognize all the words I learned before I came here as well as a handful of new ones but I can never remember the new ones when I want to use them myself. As for what I learned at home (“Do you speak English?”, “I don’t understand Russian”, etc.), well, as my brother so kindly pointed out, those can easily be substituted by a simple, “huh” and have therefore rendered themselves pretty useless :) Ed’s really good about teaching me simple Russian words as we talk, especially when his daughter’s around (she doesn’t really speak English) and I feel like I could learn a lot from him except that as of Saturday I won’t be seeing that much of him anymore.

As for the heat, it’s still stinking hot and there’s no sign of it letting up. Ed lent me a fan today though and it makes all the difference. Aside from that, I’ll guess I’ll just stick to wearing the few items of cooler clothing that I brought until autumn hits.

In talking with Ed today I got to hear more about the orphanages he’s involved in in Krivoy Rog. It sounds like they’re pretty good orphanages where the children are fairly well cared for, all things considered. I’m really excited about the opportunity I’ll have to work with the abandoned babies at the local children’s hospital. We also talked about my desire to work with neglected babies, etc. He’s not in any orphanages like that right now but he was open to seeing if he could find some contacts for me to go to orphanages no one’s been to yet, places where special needs children are not well cared for. Please continue to pray that God would open up the doors for me to be where He wants me and that I would follow His leading.

Last night was kind of rough. I went to bed at 10:00 and fell right asleep but woke up wide awake just half an hour later and stayed awake for the next four hours! I’m feeling pretty good right now but obviously I won’t be able to do too many nights like that and still expect to function during the day. Please pray that I get a good night’s sleep tonight.

Alright, that’s it for now. Due to language issues I wasn’t able to get into the bathroom after Ed dropped me off last night. It didn’t bother me too much, Congo was a great training ground, but now I’m off to take a much-needed shower. Talk to you tomorrow!

No comments: