Sunday, August 8, 2010

My New Home

Here I am in Khrivoy Rog… We boarded the train last night and all I could think was, “oh dear…” The train consisted of an extremely narrow hallway leading to very small, 6x6 cabins with four bunks (two upper, two lower) each. It did not look at all comfortable and I quickly resigned myself to the fact that it was going to be a long night. Much to my surprise however, I had a great night. As far as I’m concerned, we hit the jackpot with our cabin-mates, sharing with a mom and her little girl. Once the train started moving and the air conditioning came on, the movement and the cool breeze created the perfect atmosphere for sleeping and I slept better than I have since I arrived.

Although still very much a town, Khrivoy Rog is much more like the missions’ fields I’m used to. Kiev was very much like any other European city with nice roads, tall buildings, designer clothes and shopping malls. Khrivoy Rog is more like Africa in that it has bumpy dirt roads, dilapidated buildings, mostly smaller stores and a much more visible presence of poverty. I feel more at home here already. Speaking of home, I thought I’d give you a glimpse of my new home for the next six months of so… It’s not nearly as cute as Jenny’s South African “Hide-Away Hut” but I like it :)






This morning we went to the church that I’ll be attending while I’m here. Hands raised, flags waving, people dancing in the front… this is my kind of church. I wish I could understand what they were saying but I’m determined to learn the alphabet as quickly as possible so that I can at least sing along. We did sing one song that I knew – Agnus Dei. Some of you may remember this post where I talked about how we sang that same song my first Sunday in Uganda. Well today, as I stood joining my English voice to the Russian voices all around me, remembering that day in Uganda, I was in awe at the amazing opportunity God has given me to worship together with His children all around the world and I was filled with a great anticipation for heaven when a great multitude which no one can number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, will stand before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and cry out with a loud voice, saying, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” (Revelation 7:9-10).

My goal for this week, that I want to share as both a prayer request and a means of being held accountable, is to learn the Russian alphabet. Although I still have a long way to go towards being independent here, being able to read will be a huge step in that direction as well as a big help in learning vocabulary, etc. That said, I’d better get cracking… Tomorrow morning we’re going to the local babies orphanage to love on some special needs kids – can’t wait!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Sweet washing machine!

Melissa said...

When we come for Liza we would love to find this church! Could you email me? hismissionmine@yahoo.com Thanks!