Saturday, August 21, 2010

If you had told me at 21...

For those of you coming over from Flight Platform Living, I wrote this post last year but it fits so well with this week's writing prompt,
"Mind the Gap! How is reality different from your dreams?", I thought I'd share...

If you had told me at 21-years-old that in five years I would be living as a missionary overseas, I would have thought you were crazy. At 21-years-old I had no desire to travel or see the world, the most “exotic” place I had ever been was Florida and I was ok with that. At 21-years-old I had a plan for my life; I wanted to graduate university, become a social worker, move out on my own, fall in love with a godly man, get married, have three children, buy a house with a pool and a white picket fence and live happily ever after… I wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, involved in my children’s school and active in youth & children’s ministry in my church. Once my kids were grown, I would go back into social work and do my best to make a difference in the lives of hurting children in my community. At 21-years-old, that was my plan.

Today however, I find myself living as a “missionary” overseas. I have never worked a regular job and when I am in Canada, I still live with my mother. I have never been in love, I may never get married, I may never even have children of my own. I definitely don’t see myself ever living the life of three kids, a pool and a white picket fence. My life today looks nothing like I imagined it would back when I was 21 and I am glad. You see, my plan for my life was good and I’m sure I would have been happy living that life but God’s plan for me was better than anything I could have ever imagined myself. Even now, in the midst of this season of waiting, I am ever so certain that I am exactly where God wants me and I am happy – I wouldn’t choose to be anywhere else.

The moral of this story??? God’s plans are not the same as our plans – they’re better! And so today, as I marvel at all that God has done in my life over the past five years, I would like to encourage you to surrender all of your own plans and dreams to God. Maybe He has something else in mind for you, something even better than you could have ever imagined yourself…

Now all glory be to God! By his mighty power at work within us, he is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or imagine. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

(Ephesians 3:20-21)

3 comments:

Anna Theurer said...

Hello fellow blog-hopper! Beautiful post. "God’s plans are not the same as our plans – they’re better! "--spot on! I am happy to see all of the angel lovies on your side bar :)

Pam said...

Nice post Andrea! You are right, God's plans for us are always better and more satisfying than the ones we make for ourselves!

Jane@flightplatformliving said...

oh what a truly wonderful post! I am so honoured to have you taking part in forget-me-not fridays. thankyou honey xxxxxxxxxx