Monday, August 9, 2010

First day holding orphans...

Today was the first chance I’ve had to hold orphans for 13 weeks… ahh, it felt good. Like I said, we went to the babies’ orphanage this morning to spend time with the special needs kids. Unfortunately, some of their staff were on vacation so they only had two of the special needs kids outside this morning – a precious blind little boy named Dima and a sweet little girl with Down Syndrome name Liza. We played with the two of them along with several other adorable typical children but as I spent time with Dima and Liza I realized just how much God has gripped my heart for special needs kids. We played with them for a little under an hour and then it was time for them to go back inside. As we helped bring all the kids in, I caught a glimpse of the rest of the special needs kids just hanging out in their cribs, on the floor, etc. and I didn’t want to leave. At this point, volunteers are only welcome at the orphanage between 10:30-11:30, to play with the kids during their outdoors time. Oh how I long to spend the day in Liza and Dima’s room, helping out however I can and just showering them with love and affection…

Right now the children at the older orphanages are away at camp so it looks like it’s going to be a pretty quiet week. Actually, it seems as though things are pretty slow around here in general as volunteers don’t spend more than an hour or two at any one orphanage on a given day. For this week I plan on tagging along with the other volunteers who are here but on Friday Ed is coming in from Kiev and I’m hoping to meet with him to discuss some other things I could do. Right now what’s on my heart is spending more time in the special needs room at the babies’ orphanage, the special needs orphanage for children over five and the abandoned babies at the local children’s hospital. I would also love to get into a new orphanage that does not receive volunteers yet, where the children are not receiving adequate care and do my best to make a difference in those kids’ lives. Please continue to join me in praying that God would give me favour here and that He would open up the doors to the places where He wants me to be.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Great to read your updates and see pictures of your life in Ukraine! Keep the pictures coming!!!