Thursday, August 19, 2010

Camp Visit

Today I got to do something fun and different which, to my delight, involved spending a full 4 hours with orphans! There is a friend of Ashley and Haylay’s that used to be a translator for Ed but now has his own orphan ministry. He is involved in many orphanages and dorms (where the kids go when the “graduate” from the orphanages) in the area and does a variety of programs with the kids. During the summer, kids from the orphanage spend up to a month out at camp. It’s a nice change of scenery for them and a chance to get out of the city but there is still not much for them to do out there and therefore they get quite bored. One of the things that Max does is go out to the camp and run activities for the kids. A couple of weeks ago he and his team ran a full VBS at the camp and when they were leaving at the end of the week the kids begged them to come back again to visit them while they were still at camp. So, today Max was heading back for a visit and he invited us to go with him. It took us about 2 hours to get out there but it was a great chance to see some of the countryside. When we got there the kids were so excited and we spent the morning with them doing games, crafts and music…

Crafts



Zhenya - this guy became my buddy for the day. I helped him with his craft and after that he stuck to me like glue... he was really sweet.

Games



Music

I was really impressed by how sweet and affectionate the children were, even the older ones. Once again, I wished I could communicate with them but I nevertheless enjoyed the opportunity to give lots of smiles and hugs. I was also really impressed by Max and his team of volunteers. They were amazing with the kids, enthusiastic and affectionate, just pouring out love to those kids. Whether here or in Africa, I am always so encouraged to see local people with a passion for orphans. They are unfortunately not always easy to find but the group of people I had the opportunity to work with today were truly inspiring, their love for God and for the children shining through everything they did. While I am still anxiously awaiting the day I get to begin working with the children that God has put on my heart, today was a good day and I am thankful for the opportunity I had to spend some time with these kids.

No comments: