Saturday, July 17, 2010

Plan or Purpose?

As I've been sharing with people about my time in Africa and my upcoming trip to Ukraine, the question I get asked most often is, "So, you'll be in Ukraine for six months... then what?". The answer: I don't know. At this point, I really don't have a plan for what the next years of my life are going to look like. Sometimes I wonder if that makes me look irresponsible, unfocused, etc. but earlier this week a friend said something that really stuck with me... "Just because you don't have a plan, it doesn't mean you don't have a purpose." That is so true. Although I may not have a plan all laid out, God has given me a purpose - to be a tangible expression of His love to forgotten and unwanted children around the world. The truth is, while I do have occasional moments where I wish I knew what I was going to be doing eight months from now, the majority of the time I feel really great about not having a plan. Following Jesus one day at a time has been such a freeing experience for me as I no longer have to worry about what the future holds, I just leave it all in God's hands. I have never before been so certain that I am in the center of God's will for my life and there is no better feeling than that. I may not have a plan but God has given me a purpose and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."
Proverbs 19:21

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I have been getting many of "those" questions myself since coming "home" to visit. I definitely agree about what you said about it being a "freeing experience" when you are following Jesus! He is the WAY, the truth and the life!