Friday, July 9, 2010

The Little Things...

As most of you know, food was a real struggle for me in Congo but whether I'm living on rice and beans in Congo or enjoying a variety of delicious African and Western food in Uganda, the one thing I always miss when I am in Africa is dairy. Dairy is pretty much non-existent in Africa (so much so that when I met with a nutritionist in Congo to discuss our children's diet, she started off the conversation with "so, you know the three food groups..."). Yes, in the city you can buy things such as milk, yogurt, cheese, etc. but it is fermented and as far as I'm concerned, milk that does not have to be refrigerated is not real milk. This has always been hard for me since dairy is my favorite food group hands down... I love milk and yogurt, cheese is my absolute favorite food (including the less-common cheeses like feta) and I love everything chocolate, especially white chocolate! Anyway, during my last week in Africa, as I was desperately craving real dairy, I was catching up on the blog of an adoptive mom who had spent several weeks in the Ukraine picking up her two little girls. Here's what she had to say... "Yes, for all of you who mentioned the yummy dairy here, you are so right. I am not such a fan of dairy, but this country sure does make excellent yogurt. Oh my goodness, and their white chocolate is to die for (not really). Chocolate is dairy too, right? And they make the best feta cheese I have ever had..." I just about jumped up off my bed and cheered! After four months of no dairy, it sounded like I was going to be heading to dairy paradise... I just love that God cares so deeply for us, even taking care of the little things.

No comments: