Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday

I woke up this morning with great anticipation. For the past three months, the church I have been attending has been entirely in Swahili meaning that I didn’t understand a thing. What’s more, the church did not really have a time of corporate worship. They had several choirs who sang during the service however no one else joined in, they simply remained seated and listened. I could see that some were worshipping quietly, meditating on the lyrics, but since I didn’t understand what was being sung it was a real struggle for me. Don’t get me wrong, I was constantly singing praises to God while washing laundry/dishes, pushing kids on the swing or cuddling them in my lap and I had many wonderful, intimate times of worship alone in my room yet oh, how my heart longed to join my voice with fellow believers in singing praises to God for His great goodness. Well, today was the day and by the time I got off the taxi I was so excited I had butterflies in my stomach! It was a beautiful time of worship and celebration indeed and I couldn’t help the tears that flowed as I marvelled once again at God’s faithfulness. My only disappointment was that it didn’t last longer.

After church I went to the African Children’s Choir training academy to visit the new choirs. They are training two choirs right now and I have a good friend who will be travelling with each one and so I was really glad to be able to meet “their kids”. I always LOVE meeting choirs while they are still in training, they are so cute and little and excited about everything. I didn’t get to spend much time with the kids as they were busy packing to go home on holidays tomorrow but I had a good time nonetheless and I hope that it was a long enough visit that they’ll remember me if I get to see them in Canada :)

The training academy is kind of a hang out spot for former choir members after church on Sundays and, as a result, I got to spend time with quite a few of my African friends today. It was great to be able to catch up, hear what God has been doing in their lives and share some of what He’s been doing in mine as well – everyone loved the bus story!

Now, I’m sure you’re all wanting an update on the Katanga family. Thank you for your prayers and concern. After praying about it, Bonny and I have felt led to provide the medication needed to treat Paul’s rash along with that of his older brother who also had a rash, although not as severe. We will also provide the family with enough food to get them through the month until the university students return. This leaves the problem of the school fees however we cannot do everything and, as school fees are a recurring need, it would leave Bonny with a continued financial responsibility which he cannot manage right now. The medication will cost $50 per child and food for a month (for a family of 7!) will be $100, meaning a total of $200. I have been struggling trying to wrap my mind around how such small amounts of money came make such a huge difference… I don’t envy Bonny. This is his life, being approached every day by people in need, having to decide who to help, knowing that he simply cannot help them all… Please continue to keep Paul and his family in your prayers and, if you attended church this morning, take a moment to thank God for the opportunity, the privilege you have to freely worship Him with other believers in a language you understand. As the saying goes, we don’t know what we’ve got ‘till it’s gone.

p.s. I have indeed been updating my blog with stories/pictures from the Congo. I have been posted them according to the date they took place so scroll down or look in the archives from February, March and April to read more

No comments: