Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Swing!


Well, I’m nearing the halfway point of my time here and I am officially running out of things to do with the kids. The kids don’t seem to mind playing the same little games over and over again but I’m just not sure how much longer I can keep singing “Stella Ella Ola” and “Un Éléphant” dozens of times an hour before I go crazy! This morning I prayed a very specific prayer, asking God to open my eyes to some creative way to have fun with the kids. Recently they have been remodelling the “toilet” area and as I watched the kids playing with some scraps of wood, in what I can only describe as divine inspiration, it came to me – we could build a swing! I recruited the oldest, 12-year-old boy and with my limited Swahili and his limited French I managed to explain what I wanted. We found some old nails and he set to work making hooks on either side of a plank of wood while I went inside to dig out some rope that I had brought along (just in case I needed it for something). I was truly impressed with the result and the kids couldn’t wait to try it. I don’t know how long it’ll last but, for a group of kids who had never been on a swing before, it sure made for a fun day!

Ferdi, it seems like swings would be a great attraction for your social-profit fun park in Uganda. And, if you ever decide to bring Tjeko to the Congo, I know a group of kids who would definitely be interested…









Update: We went through several models but, much to my suprise and delight I am happy to report that when I left there was not one but two swings still intact... I don't know who was more happy, the kids or me!

No comments: