Monday, March 15, 2010

I Feel Like Chicken Tonight...

That’s the name of a restaurant in Uganda that my 2007 camps team found quite amusing. Out here in the village however such a restaurant would be quite out of place as chicken is a rare luxury that very few can afford. Nevertheless, given the lack of meat in our diet, it would be safe to say that I feel like chicken pretty much every night. Well, on Saturday we had a surprise visit from a group of Pakistani UN Peacekeepers. They didn’t stay very long, just long enough to drop off a few gifts and take some pictures with the kids, but it was nevertheless a nice diversion. Like I said, they brought some gifts with them but they were all wrapped up so I couldn’t see what was in them, although I assumed it was probably the staples – rice, salt, sugar, etc. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I was playing in the yard with the kids while the Mamas were preparing dinner and it smelt amazing. I walked over to see what they were cooking and you could imagine my delight when I discovered that it was… CHICKEN! Ask my family and they will tell you that meat is hardly my favourite food but last night was, hands down, the best chicken I have ever had. I don’t know how much of a difference one piece of chicken will make to my body but if nothing else, it did my spirit good. So, thank you United Nations for a delicious treat and most of all, thank You God for giving me exactly what I need just when I need it…

No comments: