Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Field Day

On Sunday afternoons I try to do something fun with the kids. Often it involves me pulling out one of the gifts that I brought along (that I am trying to bring out slowly so that they last three months). So far I have given them the beanie babies you sent along, we have coloured and last week we played with balloons. Once a month however I plan on having a sort of “field day” with the kids, an afternoon of organized games ending with stickers and some sort of treat (cookies, candy, etc.) for everyone. Well, today we had our first field day. I had planned on doing it on Sunday but I wasn’t feeling well and it was pouring out so it didn’t happen. Today however we had our first rain-free day in awhile so I decided to take advantage of it and have our field day this afternoon instead. The theme for the day was relay races and, considering the language barrier and the fact that the kids had no concept of what a relay race was, it actually went quite well. We had a water bottle relay, they did the crab walk, passed a ball (or bowl or whatever else I could find) through each teammate’s legs to the ‘runner’ at the back of the line, they spun around five times with their heads on a ‘baseball bat” (or in this case a stick) before running back to their team, we had a human wheelbarrow race and finally a shoe scramble where we threw all their shoes into one big pile and they had to find their shoes and put them on before returning to their team. It required a fair bit of resourcefulness given the lack of supplies here, a lot of patience to explain/demonstrate each game several times in order for them to (more or less) understand, and every word of Swahili I know but ultimately the kids seemed to have fun and they were especially thrilled with the stickers and cookies at the end :)

The crab walk...




Spinning on a "baseball bat"...




Wheelbarrow race...




And now for the best part... cookies!





No comments: