Monday, February 1, 2010

One last post from Uganda...

Seeing as my bus does not leave until 9:00 tonight I had to take advantage of the extra day in Uganda. Today is the day that all the kids go back to school and so I decided to go visit Bugolobi school, which I have mentioned before, where Teacher Hellen is the headmistress. I had the privilege of doing camp at Bugolobi school in both 2006 and 2007 and I love that school, the teachers and the kids there so much. Unfortunately, the kids I would know from my past trips are now all in what is called “upper primary” and were not there today but it was fun to meet the new, younger kids and great to see all the teachers again.
(Jenny, everyone was asking about you and send their love and greetings... I was sure to pass along yours as well!)


Because we ended up doing less bags for Bonny’s kids I had a good amount of stuff to distribute today… pencils, pens, erasers, rulers, calculators – the kids and teachers alike were so thrilled.



The best part of the day however actually came as a great surprise… I got to see Allan! Allan is a boy my family has sponsored ever since my first trip to Uganda in 2006. This past year however we were told that he was no longer in the sponsorship program and we lost track of him. Teacher Hellen told me when I visited her that the walk to school, one hour each way, was becoming too long and not so safe and so Allan’s aunt had decided to help with his school fees so that he could go to another school closer by. Allan and Teacher Hellen are very close however and they still keep in touch and today she brought him to the school to see me. It was so great to see him again. He showed me his report card from last semester and he had done very well. Allan has always reminded me a bit of my brother (who he always asks about by name). He is so smart and would like to be a doctor when he grows up. He could do it too if he was given the opportunity. Next week Allan starts high school so before parting ways today we went to buy the materials he needed for the upcoming year. Unfortunately my family is not able to continue sponsoring Allan as he is no longer with the program but it was such a blessing to be able to help him out with the things that he needed to start this new school year.


Mom, Brian, Allan says hi and thank you so much for everything. He also gave me the address of his school so that we can continue to write to him there.

Alright, less than three hours ‘till I leave for the bus so this is it for real now… Hope to write again soon!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Wow! Look at Allan! I am so glad you got to see him! What a blessing! Thanks for greeting Bugalobi for me!!!!