Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dreams

Two and a half years ago I sat alone in the middle of the night in the common room of a guesthouse in Kampala, Uganda thinking and praying, knowing that in a few short hours I would be boarding a plane and leaving the country that I loved so much. I was sad, yet as I prayed I knew that God would bring me back to Africa one day. The past two and a half years have held so many highlights, so many wonderful, fruitful moments in ministry, so many blessings and experiences that I wouldn't trade for the world, yet through it all a piece of my heart longed for Africa. Many times I would find myself before God questioning, "You said You would take me back to Africa, but when?". With each day that passed, the more I found myself immersed in life and ministry here, it seemed like that day would never come.

When I was a young teenager, long before I became interested in missions, I saw a W-Five special on orphans in the Ukraine that really stuck with me and I remember thinking, "I want to go there someday". Since then, through reading books like this and learning more about ministries like this, my eyes have been opened and my heart has been broken by the plight of orphans in Eastern Europe. Over the past couple of years God has gradually been laying Eastern Europe on my heart more and more. A dream began to form in my heart that I believed was from God. A dream to go to government-run orphanages in Eastern Europe where children were being neglected and to simply hold them and love them with everything I had. So, I began to pray that God would provide a way for me to go and do just that. The problem was, I didn't know anyone in Eastern Europe and I could not simply hop on a plane to a formerly communist nation where I didn't even speak the language and just walk into a state-run facility and say, "I'm here to love and care for your children because you are doing a horrible job at it"... It seemed impossible.

Fast forward to today... Those of you who read my newsletter know that in less than two months I will be heading back to Africa for four months followed by a seven month trip to work with orphans in the Ukraine (if you did not receive my newsletter but would like to, please e-mail me at ambassadoroflove@live.ca). It may have seemed far off or even impossible at times but God fulfilled the promises He spoke to me! There's a verse from the book of Numbers that I love:
"God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?" (Numbers 23:19)

So, I guess my message today is this: Has God promised you something? Do you have a dream in your heart that you believe is from Him? Even if it seems far off or impossible... don't give up because God always keeps His promises.

No comments: