Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What I'm Doing Now

So, given that I'm around for at least a couple more months, I'm sure that you all are wondering what I'm doing now... Well, I'm doing my best to keep busy. I still see the girls fairly often, visit the center, and do one-on-ones once a week. I'm also involved once again with West Island Mission's annual Christmas basket distribution. As many of you may remember, last year I headed up WIM's Christmas basket committee. This year my mom has taken over that job however I am back on the committee and am thrilled to be working again with this amazing group of people. This year I am once again responsible for all the children's gifts. So, no, I will not be at an orphanage for Christmas but as I find myself counting, sorting and wrapping hundreds of gifts for children that might otherwise not receive anything this Christmas, how can I not be happy?

For those of you who are local, did you know that...

- 14.7% of the population covered by the Pierrefonds CLSC live below the poverty level
(CLSC Pierrefonds covers Pierrefonds, Ste-Genevieve, DDO, Roxboro & Ile-Bizard) 
- 27% of the Sainte-Genevieve population lives under the poverty level
- 8.4% of the population covered by the Lac St-Louis CLSC live below the poverty level
- The average annual revenues of an underprivileged family living in the Cloverdale area of Pierrefonds is $12,000

These statistics are from 2004 and it is believed that those percentages have only grown higher in recent years. I know I often talk about the many needs on the other side of the world but this is our community and there are people in need right here in our own backyard. So, I'd like to invite you to get involved in helping West Island Mission reach out to those in need right here on the West Island. Here are some ways you can help: Volunteer to assist with our Christmas basket registration during the week of November 1st; Donate non-perishable food or new, unwrapped toys; Collect food/toys from your friends, family, neighbors and coworkers; Come help us assemble up to 300 Christmas baskets on Friday, December 11th; Show up to deliver baskets to families in need on Saturday, December 12th.

If you’re interested in helping in any of these areas or if you want more information please e-mail me at: ambassadoroflove@live.ca

Finally, for those of you reading this that aren't local, sorry, I know this doesn't apply to you too much but I'm sure that there is a food bank in your area that could use your help... :)

No comments: