Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Plans"

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that prevails."
(Proverbs 19:21)

So, I guess it's time to update you on what I'm doing or, better put, what I'm not doing. For the last couple months I have been working on going back to Jamaica for two months from mid-November to mid-January. As you know, the plight of the children there really grabbed my heart and I wanted to go back for a longer period to get a better understanding of what life is like for these kids. There is a children's home I had heard of that takes in children who have been abandoned and I was really interested in being a part of the work they are doing. Anyway, I was having a really hard time getting in touch with the people I needed to get in touch with but I still thought it would all fall together. Over the last couple of days however I have learned of a few more obstacles and I have come to believe that this is God's way of closing the door for me to go back to Jamaica, at least for now.

I am disappointed, in part because I was looking forward to going back to Jamaica and even more so because it has been my dream for several years now to spend Christmas in an orphanage and I was excited to see that dream become a reality. Over the last few days I have been reminded of the words of Henry Blackaby which I actually taught to the girls this summer:
God is Love: His will is always best
God is All-Knowing: His directions are always right
There have been many times in my life when things did not go the way I had planned and in the end I was so glad they didn't. The best example of that was when it seemed as though the women's shelter would not be getting the government grant they needed in order to hire me on for the summer, I job I adored. A couple short months later however I was on a plane on my way to Africa for the first time, an experience that obviously changed my life... I know from experience that God's plans are always right and best and so, while I am still a little disappointed, I am thankful that it is God's plans and not mine that prevail.

I don't know if God will open the door for me to return to Jamaica some other time or if Jamaica was simply that which I needed to push me over the edge in my decision to leave my job and go into missions. What I do know is that I'm back to square one. I would appreciate your prayers... If I am going to go somewhere for Christmas then those details are going to have to get settled in the next few days. Otherwise, please pray that I would find something(s) to fill my time while I wait.

No comments: